Maasai Development Project

The Maasai Development Project Blog will be used by members to post updates particularly while on trips to Kenya. Here you can view these posts and make comments.

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Sunday - October 26

Imagine my surprise when I opened my email to find many friends from my "Facebook" wishing me a happy birthday. The most precious was a letter from my son, Richard. I just have to say the greatest honor on earth is to be considered one of your childrens best friends.

Today was another full day. Anne got ready to accompany a medical team to Kisaju for a day of clinics. I just have to add that Kisaju is where the work in Maasailand began back in 1991. Before leaving for the states in December of 1995, Marlin and I had put together a medical/dental team to give free service to the Maasai in the Kajiado district. How thrilling it is to find a medical team from our churches in Nairobi continuing the monthly health service. When we dropped Anne off to catch her ride, one of the Pastors introduced himself to me. He said, "You probably don't remember me, but I am one of the youth that went with you from Nairobi Central Church for the 10 day evantelistic meetings in Kisaju in 1994." Imagine my surprise as he continued, "That experience had such an impact on me that I went on to become a pastor and now continue to work in Maasailand, in particular, Kisaju."

That was one of those moments in life when you say, "Thank you, Lord for the opportunity to serve you and make a difference in someone's life." We don't always see the fruits of our work, but today God allowed me that great privilege. A moment I will cherish forever. That was my birthday present from my Heavenly Father.

Marlin, Bubbles and I were going to visit a good friend of ours in Maasailand. Our friend is 80 plus years, but looks to be only 60 with 8 wives and over 80 children. This man is amazing. He has taught his children from early age to work. Over the years the children have built a stone wall around their property, dug out of the rock by hand a 35 foot deep water catchment by 50 plus feet across. We try to visit whenever Marlin is in Kenya as they have become good friends of ours. Two of his sons work for us as guards. We had a wonderful day, visiting our friends. The highlight was when we met with the 8 wives to look at all of their beadwork they were making. What fun helping Bubbles choose gifts for friends and family, trying on some of the ornamments and bargaining. When we left all were happy.

By now it was almost 4:00 and we still had one more stop to do in Kisaju, delivering shoes and socks to Joshua, from his sponsor, another little boy from states, Kyle. When Joshua saw me, he came running into my arms, his little heart pounding from the distance he had run. (Joshua was born in my vehicle 7 years ago this month. Unfortunately his mother's uterus ruptured and inspite of surgery, she did not live.) We had such fun helping him try on his shoes and then write a thank you letter to Kyle. He was so excited.

We stopped at the church to pick up Annie and imagine my surprise as I was ushered in to "Happy Birthday" and cake. I cried, it has been several years since my birthday was celebrated and I was touched.

To finish off the day, when we got home, Anne made a mexian dinner and to my surprise out came another birthday cake and another round of "Happy Birthday".

An awesome day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home