Maasai Development Project

The Maasai Development Project Blog will be used by members to post updates particularly while on trips to Kenya. Here you can view these posts and make comments.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tuesday - October 21

OK, so the rains have really hit Kenya. The good news is that our water tanks are filling up so we have plenty of water in the house now. But the bad news is the road going out to the tarmac, about 6 Kilometers is very muddy. I am not complaining because they have actually been working on the road and it is much better than it used to be, but there are still a few areas that can be a bit treacherous during the rains.

Today I had an appointment in Nairobi so was dressed up in my suit and heels, it was still raining when I got in the vehicle. I was a bit concerned but not too much because after all, I'm a pretty good driver and I am driving a 4 wheel drive. U-huh! That is all well and good until a lorry comes down the middle of the road and refuses to give way in the least way, at which point guess who went sliding down into the mud? I was stuck. I looked down at my white pin-striped suit jacket and my heels and wondered what I was going to do. So I honked the horn for the men in the lorrie to come help me. Which they did not, but their retribution came as a minute later they too were in the ditch. However, a man pushing his motorcycle that had been behind me came up and offered to help, followed by a handful of small school boys on their way home for lunch. I have to give those boys credit, they really tried. Forward and backward I went, but nothing. Slowly more men began to appear. I must have looked pretty pathetic because they would reassure me, "Don't worry madam, we will get you free." Within about 20 - 30 minutes they had me free. Not one of them asked for any money for thanks. They just waved and wished me well as I shook their hands in gratitude. I was so thankful.

My appointment did not happen, but an unexpected God appointment happened instead. I was just leaving the compound of the Union Offices when my phone began to ring. It was Anne, a nurse who is a self supporting missionary who came to work in Maasailand and help start a clinic. She wanted to meet me and Mr. Kenani, our administrator, so we retraced our steps and met with her. She is at a crossroads with her work and wondering which direction to go. She is going to go home to raise funds for a mobile clinic in Maasailand, to do medical clinics and health and Aids education. However, she was not sure which direction to go, whether to try to team up with an established organization, such as MDP, start her own NGO, or just what. So we began talking. She had been staying with a family in Nairobi, but I invited her to come stay at the MDP house in Ongata Rongai so that we could talk more. Twenty-fours later we are still talking. We are both praying to see which direction God is leading. Anne will be accompanying us to Narok next week and visit some of our stations. Anne will soon be leaving for the states to meet with her sponsors to write a proposal for our MDP board to consider. Please pray for both Anne and MDP as we continue to explore the wonderful opportunity of working together. MDP has been wanting to get a health and education program established, I can't wait to see where God is leading. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home